Or, "How to have a ton of fun making fun of the UFO people!"
Synopsis? I loved this movie! Will Smith & Tommy Lee Jones are fabulous together! Jones enlists Smith to be trained as his replacement in a secret force that polices alien activity here on earth. "Alien" means alien, not from another country! A bad "Bug" comes to earth in search of a powerful weapon and causes mayhem. Jones & Smith save the day.
Well, a few Fizzix errors were noticed along the way;
- When Smith fires his "Noisy Cricket" gun three times at the Bad Bug at the jewel store, each reaction is not only exaggerated, but wrong.
- 1st one shows him firing horizontally from inside the shop. He flies horizontally backward and strikes the rear wall.
- Well, he wouldn't have moved horizontally a distance of 15 or so feet at all. Gravity dictates the motion of projectile paths as parabolic. Period. So if he would have moved backward, he should have "arced" upward and back down.
Now, he actually would have simply fallen over backward in a twisting motion. The recoil force of the gun, due to Conservation of Momentum, would have kicked his arm back. However, his arm is located above his center of mass. The force, acting at a perpendicular distance from the pivoting point, the cm, is now a torque. All unbalanced torques cause rotation. Analogy; Push a standing person horizontally at the shoulders and see what happens.
If the force on his arm would have been large enough to cause him to fly that far, his arm would have made the trip, but his bodies inertia would have remained in place. Yuck! This is what causes damage and deformation in objects - a large force acting quickly on one part of it!
- Notice the glass of the window during and after the shot! Smith shoots outward. The glass explodes in a fireball from outside and blows inward. K is covered in glass after the shot. Silly editing. Play this sequence in slo-mo and you can see the FX explosion occur outside the window.
- 2nd one shows Smith out on the sidewalk firing horizontally. The shot hits the truck thingee. Next scene shows Smith falling from some considerable height into a pile of trashcans. How come and why for was he in the air? He fired horizontally so all those things I discussed for the 1st shot still are valid. There is no force to make him go up into the air then fall later.
- The 3rd shot is the worst, or best depending on your point of view. Smith jumps onto the top of a parked car, pulls the trigger. Scene change. Hits the truck. Scene change. Will is still on the car and all of a sudden, 2 seconds after firing the Cricket, flies up into the air and lands butt-first through the windshield of another car! Now, that's one tuff butt! Not only is his reaction delayed, but it's again in the wrong direction, up.
- When Smith pushes the "red button" on the MIB-Mobile and it drives upside down thru the Lincoln Tunnel, all Laws of Motion and Forces still seems to be OK even if the car isn't. Jones' hair is falling downward, Smith can't get situated because he's "upside down" inside the car, things are falling onto the rook. Not a bad scene. And I always suspected that Elvis wasn't really dead!
- Still wirkin on this... Later...
- Aside - Some great one-liners are in this flick.